Thursday, 12 December 2013

Where do I find my Motivation and Willpower?

This is question I often get asked, so I am going to try, the best I can to explain how I stay on track and keep myself motivated to go the gym four times a week and how my willpower prevents me from caving every time I see cake!



Yes at the start it was difficult, going to work everyday, come home and then go to the gym, only to then have to go home and cook dinner and put out/away any washing - oh to be a homeowner. But I knew it would all be worth it. For me I was unhappy with my body image but I wasn't going to be one of those people that sat around complaining and not take any action. This is my life and I want to live it as best I can by maintaining a healthy nourished body. The food was the easier bit. Cooking is fun and once you have been to the gym, the last thing you want to do is undo your hard work by shoveling in rubbish so it all kind of falls into place.

Now I have been exercising and eating healthy for around 10 - 11 months its easy. Now I know how it feels to eat well and exercise my body almost craves it. I crave it, that ache you get after a good workout, that refreshed feeling you get every morning because you have given your body the fuel it needs. Also I now know how my body reacts when I do eat something I probably shouldn't. I feel lethargic, bloated, my skin break outs and my sleep is terrible. So willpower is no longer an issue - I know if I eat that slice of cake I won't feel great for the next few hours. I do still however have the odd treat but I now try to make my own healthy sweet treats.

Although saying that - last Saturday I had a complete binge day. My partner had left chocolate lying around and I scoffed it - did I feel better for it, initially yes it was tasty, then come the feeling of bloating and lethargy. That night I had an awful nights sleep. Did I learn from it? Yes - chocolate every now and then is fine, but that much in one day - HELL NO! (I'm not going to pretend I am perfect and have the cleanest diet around I am still human)

So now instead of finding the motivation and willpower I simply know how my body reaps the benefits from the daily choices I make and how I feel in myself.

Go on give it ago - in a few weeks it will become the norm and you will LOVE it and CRAVE it! You will love the way you feel you will start to love your body and in return respect it.  After all you only get one body. Don't abuse it.

No comments :

Post a Comment